The basic premise on Chopped is that three or more chefs are selected and they are each given a mystery picnic basket of unrelated ingredients to work with. With this mystery basket they must create either an appetizer, entree or dessert, using all of the components in the basket. The dish must be created in under thirty minutes. The chefs are in a fully stocked kitchen so they are also permitted to use other ingredients in addition to the contents of the basket.
Chopped gave me an idea. What if we hosted a Challenge here on LJ? Would anyone be interested? Here's my thoughts:
1. The challenge would be open to cooks of all skill levels. It is not a contest. There are no winners or losers. The idea is to help us get creative and think 'outside the (culinary) box'. Participation each month is totally optional.
2. Week #1 I would make a post, asking for suggested ingredients.
3. Week #2 I would create a poll with the suggested ingredients and everyone can vote on their favorite. The top four ingredients will need to be used in the dish. You may create a breakfast, lunch, appetizer, entree, dessert or beverage with your ingredients. I reserve the right to veto any single ingredient that I find really vile or revolting.
4. Just like with Chopped, you can use other ingredients in addition to the mystery ingredients. Preperation and cook time should be limited to one hour or less.
5. The remainder of each month you will have time to create your dish.
6. Once completed, you must post your recipe as a reply to the orginal challenge. Dishes are due no later than the end of the month. Pictures of the completed dish are appreciated but not required.
If you're interested, drop by my LJ and reply to the poll.